Happy New Year!!!!
I placed my final JCrew online order of 2010 on December 31st. I bought a few things with the additional 30% off promo.....and I am here to announce that I am not going to be buying any more clothing/shoes until 2012. That's right readers, I am going on a one year self-imposed shopping ban.
I have a few reasons:
1. I have so many clothes I have never worn, with tags on them, shoes I forgot I owned, and to be honest just too much stuff.
2. I've gotten to the point with my shopping where I am buying multiples of stuff. Who needs 5 black suits, 7 pairs of black pumps, 3 pairs of brown knee boots, and 5 pairs of UGGS? No one!
3. I am taking this year to weed through my closet, discover what I love, what I hate and really decide what my own style is.
I do not return to work until Tuesday and I am going to be spending tomorrow doing a closet organization and inventory.
A bit of the fine print:
1. I am permitted to replace items...for example, a white t-shirt with yellow arm pits may be replaced, I also know that a few pairs of my JCrew Capri sandals, which are wardrobe staples for me in the summer, need to be replaced. I can also buy necessities: tights, stockings, undies, bras, socks, etc as needed.
2. I have a $50.00 per month accessories budget. This includes the above mentioned necessity items and any costume jewelry, scarves I might want to update my wardrobe. For this purpose, the definition of accessory does NOT include shoes or purses.
3. Back to point #1, in order to replace any of these items, I have to use the money I get from selling my own items on ebay/JCA exchange etc. Right now I have a $198 balance in my paypal account. My accessories budget does not come out of this paypal fund.
4. I can receive clothing and stuff as gifts for my birthday etc.
5. This is a work in progress so I can amend these rules at any time:)
I plan on documenting my shopping ban on my blog...I think that will be fun. I'm curious how this will affect me emotionally. I'm used to pretty much buying whatever I want.
Wish me luck! And please know that I still plan on doing OOTD's and product reviews as well as window shopping/trying on at my favorite stores throughout thsis year.