Background


Thursday, August 19

It's all GREEK to me: Breakfast that is.....


I am a creature of habit and routine.  And part of my routine is to always have breakfast.  Some days it is a protein bar hastily grabbed on the way out the door, others it is an egg scramble with veggies.  But, lately, more often than not, my breakfast consists of Greek Yogurt + Piece of Fruit + Flax Seeds.

I love this combination, it goes great with berries, citrus, peaches, plums, basically any fruit you enjoy.  I usually use the plain 0% greek yogurt (whichever organic brand is on sale that week).  Sometimes I buy a large container and when they are on sale I buy the small individual cups (my local grocery has 10 for $10).  This is a nutritious, protein-packed, refreshing treat to have for breakfast, lunch, or a snack (just adjust the portion size accordingly).  

This is mind-numbingly easy, and anyone can do it!  Here are some pics, well because pics are fun:)


Chobani Honey Flavored Yogurt -- 130 calories, 15 g protein
1 Medium Organic Peach -- 31 calories
Flax Seed (1 Tbsp) -- 55 calories, 2 g protein

Add it all together and tada.....

This treat fills me up for the entire morning and I'm not even hungry until around 1 or 2.  (I have a mid-morning snack of 10-15 raw almonds).  This greek yogurt fruit combo does have a relatively high amount of carbs and sugar, but they are all naturally occurring from the dairy and fresh fruit.

What is your favorite breakfast item?  Please share!!

xoxo,
J.

3 comments:

  1. I definitely understand what you mean about habit. For about 2 years now, hubby and I have eaten the same thing for breakfast: Toasted English muffin spread with goat cheese with a scrambled egg in between. Now, if I don't get my egg for breakfast, I am ravenous by 9am. The protein sure does fill me up! I do a very similar thing with my Greek yogurt for an afternoon snack, only instead of flax I use granola. It's hard for me to eat "regular" yogurt anymore after getting used to the thick texture and rich taste of the Greek yogurt! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My breakfast and lunch are the same EVERY DAY! Boring? Who cares. I eat Chobani yogurt for lunch every day and stir in the flax seeds, some of our various fiber rich cereals, and I throw in my handful of almonds as well! I love this yogurt so much, I took some with me in a cooler for vacation, with all of the fixings. Glad to know someone else likes their daily yogurt mix as well. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AppGal: I just love greek yogurt!! I too can no longer eat the "regular" stuff. Your english muffin egg sounds so good. I may have to give that a try. sometimes I too use granola...what is your favorite variety?
    Suzy: Hi...I just love greek yogurt and chobani is def one of my favorites. I love that you can pretty much mix anything with it and it tastes amazing. I too eat the same rotation of 2-3 things for breakfast and lunch...I actually read an article in some fitness magazine that eating the same stuff all of the time helped people to maintain their weight, be healthy, etc. Interesting!

    Have a great weekend all!!

    ReplyDelete